Everyone chooses their attitude. Attitude is a choice. For everything in life, there is a certain way of:
Happiness is a choice. It is a conscious choice that you make every day. You either choose to be happy or you choose not to be happy.
You have to think first, “I am going to be happy today,” then believe that it is possible to be happy in all things today. After you have thought you will be happy and believe you can be happy, choose to act like you are happy.
Think about Eeyore on Winnie the Pooh. Eeyore could look you right in the eye and say, “I am happy” but his voice and his actions tell you differently, so what he does reinforces his unhappiness. Eeyore is not a happy donkey. Life is unfair to him. He is miserable. Everyone around him miserable.
Eeyore is what I like to call a “Crap Magnet,” where everything close to him has a crappy attitude.
Want to be happy? Try this exercise.
1. Identify a negative belief that you have. It can be anything from your work, family, any situation that you think will never get better.
2. Define how it limits you. What does it stop you from doing?
3. Decide how you want to feel and act. Think about the end. How do you wish that you would feel and act if the belief was not there?
4. Create a turnaround statement you can read every day that reflects how you want the end result to be. Start the statement with “I am…” e.g. “I am choosing to be happy today and I am building civility in all relationships.”
It is time to quit waiting for:
- Someone to change
- The right person to come along
- The kids to leave home
- The pain to go away
- A new administration to take over
- An absence of risk
- Someone to discover you
- A clear set of instructions
- More self-confidence
What are you waiting for?
Choose to have a positive attitude and choose to be happy. Do whatever it takes.
As Larry the Cable Guy would say, “Get “er” Done!!”
Let us know what happens and if you need some help!