When examining the talent at any organization look at the culture, not the rhetoric – look at the results, not the commentary about potential. Here’s what an article in Forbes magazine reports:
· More than 30% believe they’ll be working someplace else inside of 12 months.
· More than 40% don’t respect the person they report to.
· More than 50% say they have different values than their employer.
· More than 60% don’t feel their career goals are aligned with the plans their employers have for them.
· More than 70% don’t feel appreciated or valued by their employer.
So, for all those employers who have everything under control, you better start re-evaluating. There is an old saying that goes; “Employees don’t leave companies, they leave people." Regardless of tenure, position, title, etc., employees who voluntarily leave, generally do so out of some type of relationship disconnect with leadership and co-workers.
Every moment of every day you are in a relationship. Whether you are with another person, in traffic, at work, or alone in a room with just yourself, you are in a relationship.
Getting along in that relationship is an intentional act that begins only with you and has nothing to do with the other person. Only you create the result that you experience from that relationship.
How do I know this? By me changing my actions and doing everything that I write about and experience. Living WUCA! has changed every relationship in my life.
Relationships thrive when you intentionally:
• Words matter. Use words that build and heal.
• Accept responsibility for the results you are receiving and living.
• Listen actively to what is being said by others; don’t just wait to talk.
• Deliberately create space for civil dialogue. Circles are best.
• Live your purpose through your passion. It is the best way others can live theirs.
• Achieve your vision with goals as stepping stones. Move toward the future you wish to create.
• Express gratitude daily. Unexpressed gratitude is ingratitude.
• Eulogize others while they are still alive. Let them hear their praises.
If the nature of any relationship you are in is not going the way you want, you can be certain you are compounding the problem by continuing to give energy to the actions that you dislike or don’t want. When someone says they don’t get along with their parent or spouse or someone they work with, they are defining the relationship in terms of what they dislike. When your thoughts and words are on what you don’t want, it will continue to be the story of the relationship. If you want the relationship to improve, focus your energy on what you love about it and what you want it to be like.
What keeps you stuck in bad relationships boils down to two factors - which will change immediately - when you decide to act differently:
1. How you decide to view your relationship.
2. The actions you take that change you.
Your environment will change when you change your actions: all your thoughts, beliefs, and habits.
When you stop blaming others for your past and your circumstances, you will start building the relationship that you have always wanted. Even with yourself.
When you learn the WUCA! Way, you will act the WUCA! Way, then you will teach others the WUCA! Way.
Living WUCA! improves your relationships so you can experience the world intended for you!
Make 2015 your Best Year yet! Take care, be well, Be WUCA!